Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Favre martches down the field

Brett Favre continues to prove he is no mere mortal. He's been beaten up, broken, and even been declared dead before (ok, well, retired), yet he has always prevailed.

So is anyone really surprised to see him surge again for another bid for the Bowl? The guy's unstoppable. As a Vikings fan, I've hated the man. Laughed at him*, despised him, and even sent him hate mail. I hope he doesn't hold it against me. I've come to respect the grey-bearded Missourian for more than just a green-and-gold wearing warrior he was in the past. All before he was a candidate to join the Vikings, mind you. (Strib's Judd Zulgad)

He continues to prevail.

If a Viking fan can come to like the man, how do the Packers think they are going to win this PR battle? Favre has asked to be released, traded, and finally, to compete for his old job as a playoff-winning quarterback. They've turned him down on all fronts, and basically told him to stay at home. They've even lied about him using a company cell phone and checking phone records. Favre doesn't possess a company phone.

Sure, we could blame Favre for telling the world he was hanging his hat, and then turning again to try to claim his spot as Destroyer of the Secondary--weeks before training camp. But we don't. Or at least I don't and neither do many fans. If you've ever seen any other 38-year-old have as much fun playing a pro sport as Favre does, then we'd all love him or her, too.

I think that's why Favre can win the PR battle that continues to fester. He literally seems to hold nothing back when he talks to the media, which certainly isn't the way to win the hearts and minds throughout most media spectacles. But people like him. I know several Packers fans are not impressed with his recent antics, and it's no surprise that some Vikings fans want to tar and feather the guy no matter what the circumstances (but seriously, grow up--I think you could live with him as QB if the Vikes took a run at the Bowl).

But generally speaking, the public will support Favre even as he comes across as slightly bumbling:

“Them moving on does not bother me,” Favre said. “It doesn’t. I totally understand that. By me retiring March 3rd, I knew that could possibly happen. All I was saying is, you know, I’m thinking about playing again.”

And he appears to be flip-flopping more than IHOP on Sunday after church. He held on to his reinstatement papers, rather than shipping them off right away. He actually told the press that his wife and agent were not happy about that.

But he slowly marches down the field. He hasn't won yet, but he's making small gains, much like he's used to, utilizing short passes and the running game.

But as far as I can tell, we, the public, will support Favre through this nasty he-said-she-said. At least I will, wearing a shiny purple #4 jersey.

Do you want Favre in Minnesota?

(*I remember one instance where Favre broke his hand on a play and coddled his hand on the way over the to the bench, grimacing. I jeered the TV with my purple-clad friends making fun of how much of a wuss he was. Well during last week's men's lacrosse game I took myself out after a hit to ice my hand. It was not broken. Oh Karma...)

No comments: