Thursday, November 11, 2010

Dinner's dirty little secret

It was a crisis. I had no butter. And I had to figure out something quick. My mind was racing, slowed by the wine. How dumb could I be? I was at the grocery store moments before. I remembered three pounds of pork tenderloin, fresh sage, 100% pure maple syrup. Syrup! But no butter.

Yes, olive oil is magic, but not that magic. Paula Deen has testified to this point in the court of law. But it was going to have to do. Just as the little engine that could, olive oil was going to have to crisp the top of the acorn squash as best it could.

Tonight I took my first crack ever at notakeout's sauteed pork medallions. My panel of judges certainly made for no Iron Chef's sentencing, still these gentlemen are not strangers to fine cooking. My roommate just this weekend brought home some form of leftover ambrosia his old college buddy's mom prepared. She calls them "chicken roll ups." How dare I tempt fate with such storied eaters as these?! No butter... I should have been doomed from the start.

We made our way through the squash topped with the syrup (and the sneaky substitute oil) and the medallions with a spattering of shallot-and-chicken broth reduction adorned with fresh sage. My judges complimented the meal. Sure it tasted good. But I knew the secret. And I couldn't hold on to it any longer.

"I didn't use any butter! I thought we had some in the fridge!" I was apologetic as ever.

"I never would have known," Matt said. The compliments continued.

Yes, it tastes incredible, thank you. And I mean really, really incredible. But all that worry! About the lack of butter! For naught? I'll have to take a stand and be my own worst critic. I'm appalled. What a failure. 







No comments: