Monday, November 26, 2012

Monday Night Improv


Recipes? They're great. It's so fun pulling your smart phone out of slumber every two minutes while you juggle raw chicken, a slippery knife handle, and a pepper grinder. Or the $80 grocery store bill to "save money" on food. Or thinking you have everything on the list at home to realize you finished the thyme last week.

Tonight, I'm going to win at this game. I have to. I'm leaving the country in two days and I have a fridge full of perfectly-planned perishables that will certainly be wrinkled and obsolete by the time I get back. So tonight, it's no-recipe kitchen sink chili night.

Of course the recipes I've conquered in the past will contribute to the success of this dish. Cooking the onions to golden brown before everything else goes in. Maybe pre-roasting roasting some of the veggies to bring out a little more flavor. Picking the perfect blend of spices. But I'm winging this one tonight. I think this might actually turn out alright. I'll have a serving tonight and freeze the rest in small quantities to be consumed on the post-Europe cold nights ahead.

No comments: