Thursday, January 31, 2008

Virtues on the slope

I snowboarded for the first time ever this past weekend. I could bore you with the details (i.e. sweet jumps/jamming the slopes to the maxstreme/pwning noobs with my ride). But instead, with deep, profound wisdom I'll relate this experience to the virtue of fortitude.

In the history of snowsports, Snowboarding is relatively new. I really don't feel out of the loop being a rookie. I mean, you can't blame me for not trying the new Firey Nacho Taco Doritos, right? Duh. Well even so, I was surprised that I felt no humility dropping to my knees (or face, or butt, or back) every 3-10 feet down Big Bunny in Lutsen. Without apology, I'd crash to the snow, look around, and try to get back up--and getting back up was the hardest part.

The resistance of pain. Courage. The samurai call it yū. It all comes down to fortitude. That first time down Big Bunny, I kept getting up, sure my hands hurt, my butt was sore and I was more tired than I had ever been. I was a poster child, a living display of courage, yū, fortitude.

Then I made it down the hill a second time and got sick of it. Too much work getting up all the time. But I sure looked cool doing it (is that too vain of me to say?)

(Side note from that same weekend--scream Billy Joel's Piano Man in large groups any time you get a chance.)

No comments: